1) From the Bay Area, head East on Interstate 80. In Sacramento, take Highway 50 East toward Placerville / South Lake Tahoe.
2) After passing Placerville and Pollock Pines, watch for the Ice House Road / Crystal Basin Recreation Area sign.
3) Turn LEFT on Icehouse Road.
4) Follow Icehouse Road. Pass the following landmarks:
Y in the road - Stay right (double-yellow lines)
Ice House Resort (gas, store, phone) - Mile 9
Crystal Basin Information Chalet (phone) - Mile 12
Ice House Road / Wentworth Springs Road junction - Mile 24
5) After crossing a bridge with a diversion dam on the left...
Turn RIGHT off of Icehouse Road following the sign for "Loon Lake Campground"
6) Four miles up the road, turn RIGHT at the sign for "El Dorado National Forest Recreation Area: Loon Lake". The lake is not visible at this point.
7) Drive 1/4 mile to the Boat Ramp Parking Lot. It is a large, circular area with restrooms and paved boat ramp. If you are facing the boat ramp, you will see picnic tables to your right next to the lake.
8) Look for Deer Crossing campers and staff to greet you!